Love & Marriage

I used to think my wedding day would be this perfect white and cream dream, filled with extravagant décor, happy faces, and exquisite extras. I would picture myself in a beautiful white gown, surrounded by vibrant guests, and an excited groom. I even pictured my hairstyle, makeup, and menu for the reception. Thanks a lot Hollywood for the façade, and then I woke up... I got married with my son on my hip, in a small court room in Downtown Cleveland. With my dad and aunt looking on proudly and my husband to be standing in front of me, the three of us (my self, my son, and my soon to be husband) interlocked hands as he and I exchanged our eternal vows. It was fast, heartfelt, and cheap costing a total of $80. I wore a royal orange dress with golden accessories, and my husband wore slacks and a brown vest. After everything was said and done, and two became one flesh, I kissed my husband and was now his wife.

During the vows, everyone in the room disappeared, and it was only the Spirit of God, the voice of the honorable Angela Stokes, myself, and my husband, present in the world in those brief moments. It was then I knew, I'd entered heavenly bliss with the man of my dreams, my best friend, and my husband. I always thought marriage was awesome, but with the hype of movies and braggadocios married couples, I thought there was going to be a huge explosion and a burst of some energetic power unleashed in my soul once I became a wife. Uh, yea, NO. For me, I still felt like the same me that I was the day before. The only real difference to me was that I wasn't going back "home" afterwards. It's settled now, that me and this man will be together forever, through sickness and health, through prosperity and adversity, until death do us part. How honored I am to be apart of such an amazing commitment and fulfilling bond.

With the divorce rate of almost 50%, many people are very skeptical of marriages. A lot of people thought I was rushing, or that I wasn't prepared for marriage. People have lots of opinions about everything I do. But what matters to me is my happiness, the wellness of my son, and the partnership I have with my husband. I also thank all of my past experiences as well as his, because those experiences have shaped us and prepared us for each other. Suddenly, it all makes sense, all the heartaches, and tough lessons brought from life and love. The rough times, and times of struggle have equipped me with patience, understanding and peace in the midst of the storms that are inevitable in life. It is our flaws that make us flawless, and  our imperfections that make our situation perfect for us.

In the last few years, I've finally come to realize that my life is not, and never will be a fairytale. I'm finally ok with that and life is good. :-)

Comments

  1. Forgot to mention that I got pulled over by the cops right after we left the courthouse LOL> The temporary tags on my car flew off on the highway. no ticket though, surprising in East Cleveland!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts