Normal People Problems

     I finally have normal people problems for the first time in my life. I'm not worried about anything abnormal according to most American standards. I'm not worried about where I'll live or if it's safe. No worries about where my next pay check will come from. No worries about my son's health. No worries about transportation. No worries about bills, food, clothes, or taking up other people's space. No worries about my future. YES, I finally have regular problems!!

     Today, my first normal people problem was which pair of boots I was going to where to class. My second normal people problem was if I would have enough time to visit the Mind Spa before class. Ha!! I love these problems! The only thing that has "stressed me out" this week was losing my umbrella (which I found in my son's daycare cubby), and forgetting to put my ear buds in my backpack. And we all know how vital those ear buds are in the library, or at work!

     Anyone who has read any of my blogs knows, that for a few months life was tough for me. My son had to have three brain surgeries and thirty radiation treatments to rid him of a cancerous brain tumor at 2 years old. My marriage didn't last a year, and was dissolved while my son was in the hospital. My car was totaled, I had to quit my job, move into a tiny apartment, and take care of my son. Then my dad died, and I decided to take out a loan to bury him. I mean it was one thing after another. 

     But with the strength and faith that God gave me, a resilient son, and a remarkable support system I made it through. 

(Somebody needs to take a praise break for me right here..... I'll wait.....******baptist church choir music plays**********) 

:-)  I made it through. Thank God I made it through. I chose to keep the faith and endure those hard nights of tears and pain. And as long as my son is healthy, I'm good. 

     God opened many doors for me once I overcame those tests. Not to offend anyone who doesn't believe in God, but I cannot credit anything walking this Earth for the opportunities that came my way. They were sent from above, whatever you want to call it, God, Yaweh, Allah, the Universe, Buddha, use the term that best fits what you can relate it to. I call it God. God blessed me with a part-time job at Marc's. Then my son was able to go back to daycare. Next, I was accepted at Baldwin-Wallace University. Furthermore, my son and I were accepted into a program that allows me to obtain my degree, live in an off campus apartment, and do work/study until I graduate. A program that I had never heard of before in my life. A program in which I aged out of 6 years ago.... WOW.

     Do you think I ever want to stop having normal people problems? Do you think I ever want to be in a situation where if one thing falls apart everything will? Never. Life is all about choices. The only misfortune I couldn't control was the health of my son. Everything else was set on a weak and unstable foundation. I'm now in a position where I'm surrounded by resources to help me succeed. I'm gaining life skills that will help prevent certain set backs. I'm mature enough to use what I'm learning to better my lifestyle.

     I value college now. Not just the education, but the environment. I have access to professionals whose job it is to help me succeed. I'm in an atmosphere of like-minded individuals. I can ask for help and get the help I need. There are internships, programs, job fairs and workshops to make me marketable after graduating. I'm at the #13 ranked University in the Midwest. A private University with a 64% acceptance rate, a 13:1 student teacher ratio, and a total of 4,000 students. Graduates in my major have a 98% employment rate within 6 months of graduating. As long as I continue to work hard and stay on my P's and Q's I'm on the path to success. I'm not looking back.


Comments

Popular Posts