Self-Undoing

I like to do random things. One thing I enjoy doing is stopping at new stores, shops or businesses that I've never visited that look interesting. The other day I stopped at a local deli called DiStefano's that I've passed about seventeen billion times on the way to take my son back and forth from daycare. Boy did I find a jewel! I tried focaccia pizza for the first time, bought my son a delicious cookie, and saw some potential ethnic food combinations for a future recipe! It was awesome! Then a day or two later, I stopped at a local gardening center that I've passed by practically my entire life, called Cavotta's. I was floored by the amazing treasures tucked behind this seemingly tiny side road market. There were tomato gardens, fresh fruit, honey, jams, live chickens, rabbits and goats! The facility stretched for yards and yards behind the visible store front, and it was a delightful adventure to walk around the uniquely decorated garden area. This city (Cleveland) has so many hidden gems and I plan on continuously searching for them.

A few days ago, I was on my way to visit my aunt and I saw a couple of men sitting under a huge banner covering the front of a building. The banner read "The Khnemu Foundation Lighthouse Center." I excitedly inquired about the center to the men out front, and they invited me to come in after visiting with my aunt. I obliged, and stopped in to see what the center was all about. Once again, I stumbled upon a miraculous finding! The Khnemu Center is an Afro-centric community resource and education center that offers free classes, food, clothing, and knowledge to the E.105th St. Clair/Superior area in Cleveland. I met with the founder, Mr. Fred Ward, and agreed to come to a class held later that week on the Ma'at study.

Clearly, with the name Khnemu, (god of the creation of the waters), one already knows that Egyptian mythology, and African traditions are embedded into the program. I am not a scholar on African studies, nor am I a follower of Egyptian mythology however, I do have a strong appreciation for my ancestry and am intrigued with the philosophies of the Motherland. Therefore, I was looking forward to attending the class with an open mind. Ma'at was an Egyptian goddess who represented balance, truth, order, harmony, propriety, reciprocity, and justice. The class was a self-help workshop which included information on the importance of balance between the roles of man and woman, and the crucial need to improve our lives mentally and physically.

The instructor, Brother Lorenzo Imhotep Thomas, stressed the necessity of hydration through drinking more water and less alcohol, and obtaining knowledge by reading more books. He also emphasized the need to encourage ourselves and our children through verbal praises and positive affirmations. After leaving the class, I felt motivated, empowered, and convicted. I knew I had been led to this place for a reason, and I knew there were changes in my life that I needed to make.

First and foremost, I need to cut out alcohol. Not only because it is unhealthy, but because alcohol abuse is prevalent on both sides of my family. I do not want to be a victim of alcoholism, and I do not want to become an alcoholic. Do I enjoy drinking alcoholic beverages every now and then? Yes. I could drink a nice bold glass of Merlot every night because it relaxes me. But, I don't want to feel like I need alcohol in order to relax or have fun. I don't want my sons' earliest memories of me to include a wine glass in my hand. Eventually I want to cut out 99% of my alcohol consumption, and only have a glass of wine once or twice a year, if that.

Secondly, I do need to drink more water. We all know and have heard of the endless benefits from drinking lots of water daily. I'll be increasing my water intake to 50% more than what I had been drinking previously. I'm sure I'll see improvements in my skin, hydration and even energy levels.

Finally, I need to become more disciplined. Brother Lorenzo handed out a sheet called  the Ma'at Sister Circle Daily Activities. This sheet suggests a few things women can do to improve their internal (soul), balance, truth, order, harmony... etc.
The daily activities are:

Start between 6:00am-7:00am 

Clean self (body and thoughts), pray/meditate, recite 7 affirmations, exercise for 15-20 minutes, drink two glasses of room temperature water, read from a motivational book, eat 50% less sugar and salt for breakfast, and have a great day!
During the night: Give up one television program you enjoy watching, cut back on phone conversations, recite affirmations before going to bed, journal your dreams, one hour of study time, eat less red meat, less sugar and salt, and drink room temperature water.

Honestly, I have not completed these activities to the 'T', but I am implementing a few a them into my daily routine. I am constantly evolving, and in the field of work I am pursuing, I must be the best me I can be, in order to inspire others to become their best. I'm so glad my randomness leads me to new people and new things. What random awesomeness will you stumble upon today?


Comments

Popular Posts