Is It Really Hard Being A Man?

There always seems to be an unspoken battle between the sexes. As a woman, I don't think it's harder being a man. But, I've never been a man and I don't plan on becoming one anytime soon. {LOL @ Bruce (Caitlyn) Jenner} Aside from being a provider and protector, I really don't understand all this pressure and stress that comes with manhood.

Maybe I'm insensitive because I was raised and surrounded by nothing but single mothers growing up. And now I am a single mother. I've seen and heard grown men make excuses as to why they won't pay child support, or why they aren't in their kids lives. I've seen men dump all the responsibilities of parenting, protecting and providing on women.

Seeing that time after time, year after year causes one to develop a sort of resentment towards men. It creates an "I don't need a man for anything" attitude in women. If my mother, grandmother, aunts cousins and friends could do it on their own without a man, then so can I. These negative images of men distort relationships. We get the roles and goals all twisted. We become mothers to men instead of wives. We take the lead and allow the men to sit around while we go out and work and provide.

All roles and goals of relationships differ. I'm not saying that in every case the man must be the breadwinner and the woman must stay home and take care of the children. My point is, men need respect. Personally, I'm still learning to respect men, because of the poor examples I had of men in my life. How do you respect a man that dates a woman knowing she has children, gets involved with the children, then dumps her, leaving the children with questions like "When is Bob coming back?" "Is Bob coming over today?" How do you respect a man that moves in with a woman, is unemployed, and lets the woman pay for everything? How do you respect a man who chooses not to pay child support because he doesn't like his baby mama because she tried to trap him by getting pregnant?

It's like getting stung by a bee everyday, then being placed in a garden with bees buzzing all around. You're fearful and jittery. Your guard is always up and eventually you'll become so uncomfortable that you'll flee the garden.

But I'm learning that all men are not the same. I'm entering the garden, still cautious, but in case I get stung I have my Epi-Pen and first aid kit. I'm learning to appreciate the goodness and the purpose of the bees. I'm learning what to do and what not to do to avoid attracting certain bees. I'm respecting their nature and identifying the patterns and behaviors of different types of bees.

I still don't think that being a man is hard though. It's pretty simple to me. Take care of your responsibilities to the best of your ability. Don't make excuses. Earn respect, and be consistent. Nobody cares too much about your hair, nails and makeup. You can't get pregnant or have a period. You don't have to worry about wearing the wrong size bra, or walking in heels. All you have to do is work and provide for yourself and your family. I don't get what's so hard about that if you're physically and mentally able to do so.

I don't know fellas, what do you all think?

Comments

Popular Posts