The Joys and Pains of Single Parenting


The church I attend has a large singles population. The pastor has decided to do a series on The Single Life. The topic was, "The Joy and Pains of Single Parenting.

The class also offered these tips on finding joy in single parenting:

1.) View your child/children as a gift from the Lord. In instances of rape, counseling may be needed in order to find ways to embrace your child if you are having difficulty.

2.) God is entrusting you to raise the child that he has blessed you with.

3.) Create special play days or times that are spent having fun with the kids.

4.) Find ways to get out of the house with the kids. Small kids need to run around!

5.) Read parenting books for ideas and suggestions. 

6.) Recognize your child's strengths and weaknesses. Embrace their strengths and refuse to magnify their weaknesses.

7.) Seek assistance or find a support group if you have a child with a learning disability or behavioral problem.

8.) Stay connected to your church for spiritual support and join or create a single parents minisrty in your church.

9.) Schedule and plan ME time!!

10.) Have someone to talk to when you find yourself getting stressed


When asked the question, "How many of you wish you weren't single parents?" Everyone in the sanctuary raised his or her hand.
 
I love my son more than life itself. I know that my first mistake was having him outside of a solid marriage. Another mistake was not knowing my son's father well enough to know that we were not compatible. I wish I could raise my son with his biological father, under one roof, as a family. I dream about how life would be if we could co-exist in a healthy, peaceful and prosperous environment daily.
 No matter what the circumstances, there are both joys and pains of being a single parent.

What are some of yours?

Comments

Popular Posts