Teaching in Texas




I forced the butterflies in my stomach to get in formation. 
I slowed my racing mind.
I sat down in my prepaid $131.00 seat,
and I did it.

I took the Speech 129 test, in hopes of teaching a high school speech course this fall.

Although my undergrad degree is in Public Relations/Marketing, I decided to become a teacher when I relocated to Houston, Texas this past December. Because I hold a bachelor's degree, I was able to go through an Alternative Certification Program (ACP). I completed my ACP through Texas Teachers of Tomorrow.

This ACP is a self-paced, self-guided program that offers the basic essentials for becoming a certified teacher in the state of Texas. I started the process at the end of February, and will complete the requirements at the end of next month.



The entire process consists of completing 180 online hours of teaching modules, 30 hours of class observations (both in person and online), creating mock lesson plans, taking the certification tests in your teaching subject, and finally applying for your teaching certificate/license. Some people finish this particular program in as little as four weeks!






This past January, I became a substitute teacher. While being a sub is significantly less demanding than being a full-time teacher, I gained plenty of experience. I've learned about the profession of teaching. I've witnessed first hand the impact that educators have on students, and vice versa. I've been exposed to some of the hardships and problems that teachers endure on a daily basis. I have observed the psychology of intermediate students. It's a whole new world. Now I see how underpaid and overwhelmed many teachers are.





However, I know that if I choose the right school, and have the right leadership, my first year of teaching will be successful. I will be teaching a subject that I am passionate about. I will be sparking the brains of future leaders.

Once I receive the results from my test, my life will once again change for the better. Save me a shiny apple, and call me Ms. Smith. ☺



Comments

Popular Posts