National Pizza Day at Dan's Pizza

"Do you know the true measure of good pizza? Look at your fingers when you're done eating. If you've got clean hands, you've been eating bad pizza," said Brian better know as "Beezy." Beezy is among the 74 outstanding team members at Dan's Pizza.

February 9th, 2022 was National Pizza Day! I visited Dan's Pizza "In the Mont" located at 12373 Scarsdale Blvd in Houston. In America we celebrate pizza on National Pizza Day. Pizza is a dish of Italian origin consisting of a flat, round base of dough traditionally baked with toppings of tomato sauce, cheese and various meats and veggies.

Dan's Pizza Co. is an independently, family owned operated pizzeria that specializes in gourmet pizzas and homemade Italian food. Owner Dan the Pizza Man has been working with pizza his entire life. According to Dan, it has always been his calling and his love. 

"I'm a Hou-York innovator dripping the sauce since 1997. I was born into this. My dad was a butcher in the Bronx, and my uncle was in the pizza business," Dan explained. "Pizza is my life, and all our food is made from the heart. My passion is making fresh Italian gourmet pizza, pasta, salads and more everyday. I love what I do."

Walking into Dan's Pizza immediately gave me Austin vibes with local art painted on the walls, complimentary arcade style pac-Man, and alternative/indie music pumping life into the dine-in space. I was enthusiastically greeted by a few team members who eagerly led me to the buzzing well-kept kitchen. I was impressed when I first saw Dan the Pizza Man in the thick of the action. He was hand on, side by side with his employees. He energetically prepared delicious menu items with a friendly smile.

After I had the pleasure of meeting Dan the Pizza Man, I met the Dan-O-Saur. The Dan-O-Saur is a 30" monster of a pizza pie one must witness in person to believe! Although Americans devour about 100 acres of pizza daily, it would take an entire team to finish the Dan-O-Saur in just one sitting. On a lighter note, I decided to try the Dan's Pizza stuffed crust with garlic butter and parmesan cheese, topped with ham, beef pepperoni, and PINEAPPLES! My hands were covered in buttery goodness after the first bite.

 

The best food is made with love. The best businesses are led with passion. When asked about his entrepreneurial journey, Dan the Pizza Man had some words of encouragement to aspiring business owners.

"Perfect your craft. Don't just go into business for the money. You have to find the fire and never let it burn out. I follow the three C's: Caring, Community and Consistency."

Dan even shared his secrets of success throughout the pandemic. "We overcame the pandemic by making sacrifices. We made major cutbacks. Also, faith and hope. Most importantly, my tribe. I have a strong support system that was my safety net during the most challenging times."

Dan's Pizza has three locations in Webster, Kemah and Southeast Houston. each location has its own personality and culture. Try visiting all three to find your favorite location. Dan's team delivers and caters as well. Be sure to celebrate National Pizza Day and every day with a fresh made, gourmet, hand tossed slice of Dan's Pizza. 

Comments

Popular Posts