SPROUT

Single Parents Reaching Out For Unassisted Tomorrows. SPROUT. I am a SPROUT. A little over a week ago, I met with a wonderful woman who gave me a once in a lifetime opportunity. She extended an invitation to me to join a program for single moms. In this program there would be rules and regulations. There would be limitations and restrictions. She would be my director, and I'd have to consult with her before making major decisions. I'd have to move into an apartment on campus and make parenting and academics my only two priorities. Also, as the oldest mom in the program, I'd be in a leadership position being aware of my words and actions.

In exchange for my compliance with the terms and conditions, I'd be awarded an additional $10,000 in grant money, free room and board year round until graduation, transportation to and from daycare, work/study jobs, resources, guidance, and a stable environment with like minded women.

Excuse me miss, but where do I  sign?

Before moving in last Saturday, I was a cashier at Marc's making $9 per hour after receiving a raise. I had only $28 to put towards September's rent, and I had spent my last $22.50 on a bus pass. I was already attending Baldwin Wallace University. I was waking up at 5:00am, catching two buses to get Ryan to daycare. Then I'd catch another two buses and a train just to get to class in Berea by 10:10am. Thankfully, my son's father would pick him up from daycare most days so I wouldn't have to do it all again in reverse. I didn't know how everything was going to fall into place with working, being a full time student, and spending quality time with Ryan. All I knew was that getting another degree would significantly increase my chances of getting a higher paying job to make life more comfortable for my family. I didn't care if I had to catch 12 buses, work double shifts on the weekends, or get up before the sun. I was going to get this degree no matter what sacrifices I was going to have to make. Plus, it was only going to be for two years.

When we put out an urgent message to the Universe, it will listen...

My mentor is the spark behind all of this. She's always looking for solutions to my problems, with the expectation that I'll apply them to my life. She heard an ad on the radio about the A2BW program. It's a transfer program for students with an associate's degree to obtain their Bachelor's degree from Baldwin Wallace in two years. She told me to apply, and I was accepted. We still had to figure out how I was going to get out there everyday without a car. She suggested that I move out there. However, my lease wasn't up until November, and I  didn't want to pull my son out of his familiar daycare. I figured I'd just save up for a car, hopefully before winter.

A few weeks later, I was walking the 2.8 miles up Wilson Mills road to Richmond road after dropping Ryan off at daycare. My mentor called me, and told me to contact the director of a program called SPROUT. She had written a story on the program years ago, and told me to look into it, after reading the story.

I read the story,  and saw that the program was for single mothers ages 18-23 with only one child. I have one child, but I'm 28.... I could've given up right then, but I figured maybe the director may have some other resources for me and my situation so I called her anyway. She called me back that same day, and told me to meet with her that Friday. I met with her, and as they say, the rest is history.

I sing and listen to a lot of inspirational songs. There's one song that says, "Everything is working, together, for my good. I've got a seed in the ground." I  couldn't have planned this more perfectly if I tried. I quit my job, was able to get out of my lease, switch day care facilities, and land two work study jobs in less than a week. My son transition effortlessly, and made a new friend named Daniel already. Things are going great so far and this is exactly how my life should be. Yes there will be some challenges, but I won't have to scrape and claw and struggle to survive.

The choices I've made in the past led to those struggles. One small choice can make a huge difference in the direction of our life.

But with good intentions, humility, sacrifice, fearlessness, and adaptability to change, we can get back on course and live a loving, happy, stressless life.

I'm tired of struggling and being financially poor. I'm tired of working jobs that don't pay me enough to live comfortably. I don't mind humbling myself and living with women 10 years younger than me, following the same rules and guidelines of minors. So what if I can't have overnight guests. I don't need the distractions and the headaches. So what if I can't go to the parties, and have to work and maintain a 2.5 GPA. The beauty of being the oldest mom with one of the youngest children, is that I've had my fun.

Many of these women had to miss prom, and concerts and clubs because they had children. I didn't have my son until I was 25. I've traveled, I've hung out with celebrities, I've had my own place and my own car. I know what it's like to have unlimited freedom.  That's the issue. I wasn't ready for it, which is why I'm right here with these ladies. Trying to once and for all get it together.

In 2017, I'll have my bachelor's degree in Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. I'll be finished with my second book, and I'll be sending my phenomenal child to kindergarten.

With good intentions and a strong desire to succeed, the Universe will give you everything you need if you just trust.

Go Yellow Jackets!!

Comments

  1. I'm so glad to see things are working out for you! You really deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonal! And Thanks for all of your tech help!!!!

      Delete
  2. So proud of you. Because like you said, you could have given up. I'm thankful to your example. You are a true inspiration to so many women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! I feel the same about you. Although we have/had children while obtaining our degrees we never give/gave up. The hunger for success and comfort drives me. Plus that little guy I call King Ryan :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts