Music To My Ears



Every year I realize that I can do anything I want. I can seriously do whatever my mind can think. When I was younger my potential was so limited because I wasn't exposed to a lot of different things. I didn't know there was an entire world out there that was mine for the taking. I remember the first time I ventured out to an open mic event. I wanted to perform but I was nervous as hell. After going back a few more times, an underground culture was revealed to me. 

Even after going away to college, I still felt secluded from the world at large. I still felt like I was trapped in a bubble. I thought there was nothing more to life besides work and bills, unless one was lucky enough to become an entertainer or athlete. Thankfully, as I started meeting new people who were doing amazing things, I was bitten by the travel bug.

The first time I traveled on an airplane was in 2007. I was dating this guy who played semi-professional basketball in Koge, Denmark. That's right. My first ever flight was an 8 hour flight to Europe. Had I not been friends with him, I probably would have never even considered flying, let alone leaving the country. Thanks to him and my thirst for adventure, I was decided to get a passport and visit a foreign country.

In 2009, I was ready to take my intrepid mentality to new heights. I sold all of my belongings and moved clear across America from Cleveland, Ohio to Los Angeles, California. I had no idea what to expect living on my own in L.A. I endured some tough times, and learned invaluable lessons. Of course I met people from all walks of life. I've partied in Malibu with millionaires. I've had heart to hearts with the alcoholics on Hollywood Boulevard, the homeless on Skidrow, and the runaways on the Metro buses. You never know where life will take you if you dare to explore the unknown.

This past October I decided to indulge in yet another unusual feat. I'm a creative creature ultimately inspired by beauty, heartache, pain, and love. One day in October, I experienced an unforgettable evening with a special gentleman. Our time together was so out of this world that I couldn't let the memory fade. He inspired the first song I'd ever written. It's called "Cheap Wine." It's about how love trumps material things. If you're spending time with someone you truly love, nothing else matters when you two are together. In our case, all we needed was cheap wine and playing cards to have a breathtaking rendezvous.

That one song turned into a new hobby of mine. Since October I've written dozens of songs, recorded a few tracks in the studio, and will soon be performing at the world famous Agora theater. I'm an artist, I'm a poet, writer, blogger and speaker. Now I make music. I never would have thought that I'd be spitting verse after verse, and coming up with catchy hooks for all to hear. This is my favorite way to express myself presently, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. 

I strongly encourage anyone reading this to think of something you've never done, or have always wanted to do, and DO IT! It's so elating to try new things. This year so far, I've tried so many new things like escargot and frog legs! Last year, I cut off all of my thick curly hair just to try something different. WHY NOT? I'm not afraid. I love myself and I treat myself to whatever it is that's going to make me happy, PERIOD. 

If I want to change my hair, or my style, or my geographic location, nothing can stop me but me. I'm getting to a point in my life where I really don't care about what anybody says about my choices and actions. The only person I go to bed with and wake up with is me, and the most important person in my life is me. Knowing that I can do anything I want, and express myself in any way I want is liberating. It feels good to say it out loud. It's music to my ears.


If you want to give my songs a listen you're more than welcome to copy and paste or follow the link below.

Comments

Popular Posts