The Importance of Support Systems


As I continue reading the book "A Framework For Understanding Poverty" by Ruby K. Payne Ph.D. I'm learning more and more about the ways to move into the middle class. Today's takeaway is the importance of support systems. 

According to the book, "Support systems are the family, friends, and backup resources that can be accessed in times of need." Also it states that, "Support systems are simply networks of relationships."Any professional knows that networking is vital in any field. We've heard this phrase millions of times, "it's not what you know, it's who you know." Personally, that statement holds true. If I didn't have a strong support system I would not have been able to pursue my education and follow my dreams.

In 2012, about six weeks after my son was born, I decided to end the relationship with his dad. My son and I were able to move with my godparents in their home. Because of their support,we were able to live worry free in a big beautiful suburban home. While living there I had two options: find a full time job, or go to school full time. My first thought was to find full time employment in order to provide for my son and I, buy a car and move out. However, after asking my godparents what they thought was best for me, they told me to go back to school.

They were stable financially, mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. They were excellent role models, and were knowledgeable about middle-class hidden rules. As a result, I was able to stand on their shoulders, earn my degree, and live in a safe and secure environment with my child. What would my life be like if I had to live in a women's shelter, on the streets, or move back in with my son's father? What if my godparents suggested that I find work instead of going back to school??

"Support systems are the family, friends, and backup resources that can be accessed in times of need."

My support system also includes my dear mentor Margaret. She is the reason why I'm at Baldwin Wallace University, and only two semesters away from my one way ticket to the middle class.

I found this fact insightful as well, "When students who have been in poverty (and have successfully made it into the middle class) are asked how they made the journey, the answer nine times out of 10 has to do with a relationship - a teacher, counselor, or coach who made a suggestion or took an interest in them as individuals."

Ted Ginn Sr. and Ginn Academy is one great example of a strong support system in Cleveland, Ohio. He exposes inner city children to some of the hidden rules of the middle class. Ginn Academy popped into my mind because of the young man Diamond Russell, who was murdered just days before graduating from Ginn. Russell was a young football star headed to Kansas for college. He had a great support system, but was surrounded by other young men playing by the unwritten rules in poverty, resulting in the loss of his beautiful life.

Our support systems are relative to our success. The author wrote, "For students and adults from poverty, the primary motivation for their success will be in their relationships."

My sister always mentions her "circle of influence." You are the company you keep.

Who you with??

Comments

Popular Posts