12, 14, 16

Inches boo... Inches! I recently got a sew-in, and it's freaking awesome! I must thank my husband for the $295 spent on the Brazilian hair and $180 on the service (excluding the tip). It feels good to wake up and already have a fabulous hair style every morning. The style will last for months, and the hair can last up to a year! Instead of getting a silk press twice a month, I decided to switch it up and go for a sew-in. 

A sew-in is a form of extensions in the hair. My stylist braided my real hair into a pattern, left a tiny bit of my hair out, then sewed a mesh net around the braids. Finally, she sewed in the hair, three different lengths: 12 inches, 14 inches and 16 inches, around the net following the braid pattern. The hair was already in a wavy pattern, so no heat or additional styling was required. It took a few hours, but I was extremely satisfied with the results.

In January of 2013, I went "natural." The term "natural" means to me, removing the hair that has been chemically processed by a relaxer/perm. The "big chop" is when you cut off all of the chemically processed hair. When I did the "big chop" randomly in my parents' guest bathroom. It was one of the most liberating days of my life. I found myself sporting my uneven "TWA," teeny weeny Afro, proudly, and I haven't had a relaxer since. 

Personally, I don't need a relaxer to get my hair straight. The silk press does the job for me. I have a very tightly coiled curl pattern, and coarse thick hair. But the silk press gets it straight just like a relaxer would. The silk press is simply a blow drying and flat ironing of the hair. I go to a professional salon and I'm sure the products and techniques make a huge difference in the results I see with my hair.

Hair is an important topic for me as a woman because it is my crown. I must admit that when I have a style that I like, I feel good. When I had my Fro I felt bold and confident because that was my confirmation that I was beautiful no matter what was on my head. I enjoyed standing out and being different. There's something about an Afro that says POWER! I also love my high puff hair style because it shows off my black shiny curls and it's an easy low maintenance style. I love my silk press too, because it shows my length, body and versatility. And I also love this sew-in honey, because it looks so glamorous.

The point is, the hair is an accessory. It doesn't define me. After going natural, my confidence was reassured. I learned that no matter what hairstyle I have, I'll always be me. As long as I am happy and artistic, and kind inside, my inner beauty will always enhance my outer beauty.

There's nothing wrong with exploring new hairstyles. There's nothing wrong with enjoying those styles and wearing them proudly.




It's not always about what's on your head, what's in your head matters too. <Walks away flinging inches> ;-)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts