Vote for William Stacks

As of lately, I've had to watch the new Annie movie at least 3 times a day. My toddler loves it. It's a great movie. One of my favorite parts is when the random guy starts screaming, "MAMA MOOEY, MAMA MOOEY!!" while William Stacks is interviewing on live TV. My most favorite part was the scene where Annie is on a stage, wearing a gorgeous red dress with a large red bow that "feels like a cloud," and she begins to sing. She sings a song about her big opportunity. I've cried several times during that scene, because I can feel myself in every moment of every word in that song.

Since 2010, I've dreamt about giving the commencement speech at my high school. I was so serious and passionate about my dream that I'd even started practicing the speech. (Preparation + Opportunity= Success). At the time, I was residing in Los Angeles. Once I relocated back home to Cleveland, I immediately contacted the Senior Advisor at the school. We set up a meeting, and unfortunately I was not chosen to be the commencement speaker for that year's graduation. 

Fast forward 2 1/2 years. My mentor gave me the opportunity to give a speech at the Family Literacy Night held at, none other than, my high school Alma mater. I delivered a good speech which was heard by both the Principal and Assistant Principal, in addition to several teachers. With the commencement speech in the back of my mind, I asked my mentor if I should bring my interest to the attention of the Assistant Principal. She gave me the green light, and I introduced myself and expressed my interest to both the AP and Principal. I was informed my the Principal that they'd already chosen a popular speaker in Cleveland to give this years' commencement speech.

I understood. The man they chose was indeed an excellent speaker. However, this guy has done dozens of speaking engagements throughout the city. Wasn't it time for a new speaker to shine? I decided to give him a call to see if he'd pass the torch to me just this once. When I contacted him, he said he wouldn't opt out of giving the speech because people were expecting him to be there. He suggested that I contact the Senior Advisor and ask if she would consider adding an alumnus speaker to the program.

I called the Senior Advisor (S.A), the same woman I had met with the first time. I started by telling her that I knew there was already a speaker but... She stopped me mid sentence. She said she had booked that speaker previously and wanted to change it up this year. WOW! I thought. I immediately told her about myself, and we set up a meeting for the following week. 

I went into the meeting dressed to impress with my freshly printed and updated Curriculum Vitae. With my Ladybug bag over my shoulder I sat down with confidence as we started the meeting. I was all business, explaining my method, my business and my message. She was impressed. The next step was getting confirmation from the Principal. 

As we walked over to the room where the Principal was waiting, we ran into several teachers that remembered me from the Family Literacy Night. Those ladies told the S.A how great and moving my speech was, and gave me some extra points and credibility. Once we saw the Principal, she remembered my face as well. The S.A introduced me, and asked if it was OK that I be the commencement speaker. The Principal answered with a confident "Yes." And at that very moment I did 16 cart wheels, slapped the Principal and did the moon walk across her desk!! In my mind of course. :-)

I was so happy! It was literally a dream come true!

 I cannot wait to get on that stage that I walked across 5 years ago. I'll be giving these graduates the last words they'll hear before leaving high school and embarking on a new journey in their lives. It's so meaningful because I've sat in those same seats, under the instruction of some of the same teachers. I've walked those same halls, and sang those same words to our Alma mater "Oh Collinwood." 

I feel like this is my big opportunity, my moment. And just like Annie, I won't waste it. I guarantee it. 

Comments

Popular Posts