4 Ways To Feel Successful Now


For so many years I equated success with money, marriage and education. I believed that the fancy titles, Pickett fenced family portraits, and large salaries one had earned, separated me from people like that. I often felt less than good enough when I couldn't engage in conversations about couples night, the economy or politics.

HA!

I laugh in the face of my past insecurities! Today, I define success in a totally different way. First of all, I don't compare my success with anyone else's. Just because someone else believes that having a husband, a few degrees, a big house, expensive cars, or a bunch of money makes one successful, doesn't mean that I'm not successful because I don't have those things.

1.) What someone else has is none of my business. 

Second, I've learned that my own personal success is based on what I feel on the inside. My external accomplishments reflect my internal emotional state. When I feel good, I feel like doing good things.

Yes, I'm at a prestigious private University. Yes, I'll probably earn an MBA and have a six figure salary some day. I may get married again in the future. I'd like to own a Mercedes, BMW and a Range Rover. However, I'll pose the same question Dr.Wayne Dyer asked at one of his seminars decades ago:

 2.) If you are what you have, who are you if you don't have it? 

Once I moved into the campus apartment, and looked at my handsome, healthy son, I decided that I was going to be happy from then on. No matter what happens to me in life, I choose to be happy 99% of the time. I can't be happy 100% of the time, because I'm still kind of moody at times. Plus, life can throw things your way that you would've never imagined you'd have to catch. I'm fine with the 1% of unhappiness. During those times, I deal with my emotions. I may not feel happy, but I'm still grateful. And once I let the temporary emotions filter through my soul, I immediately choose to get happy again.

3.) I can control how I feel, and change my own mood whenever I'm ready.

If I'm feeling good about myself on the inside 99% of the time, then I'll be doing good things 99% of the time. Don't believe me? Well, check out some of the things I've accomplished after choosing happiness back in August. I'll give you my top 10.

1.) Making the Dean's List for Fall 2015.
2.) Adding over 50 new videos to my YouTube channel.
3.) Adding over 50 blogs to this site.
4.) Writing a dozen songs, and uploading 3 finished songs on SoundCloud.
5.) Applying for and receiving the College Now Adult Learner Scholarship Award.
6.) Creating a professional portfolio on Foliodrop to attract potential clients.
7.) Finishing my 7th Toastmasters speech.
8.) Getting hired as a writer for an online student social platform.
9.) Taking voice lessons.
10.) Maintaining relationships with family and friends.

Those are just my top 10. I have scores of other good things I've done since August. Since I let go of an unrealistic perception of success. Mind you, I've done all of these things without a Bachelor's degree, while being a single mom, without a car, and with an income well below the poverty line.

I am not successful because of my relationship status. I am not successful because of my bank account. I am not successful because I wear fancy business suits and pull up to Morton's or Hyde Park in a $90,000 car. That's not my personal vision of success.

I am successful because every day God wakes me up with health in my body, creativity in my veins, and this financial aid, I will be happy. I will use these gifts and this passion as an outlet of my joy. And ultimately, these expressions will lead to the things that some people see as symbols of success.

4.) I'm successful because I'm happy. I'm not happy because I'm "successful"... 


Comments

Popular Posts