DISCONNECTED

Why did I leave my cell phone in an Uber driver's car yesterday??? OMG!! I honestly feel totally disconnected from the outside world.

It's SHAMEFUL!

See what had happened was.. My phone died just as the Uber driver pulled up in his bright blue kia optima. I told him that my phone's battery had died, and he immediately asked me what type of phone I had. I told him I had an Android and he plugged my phone into his charger up in the front seat. I'm a previous rider with this driver, so we naturally engaged in conversation. We both had experienced an extremely busy week; I had 5 speaking engagements, he'd been working until 3 a.m. all week.

After laughing and chatting, we pulled up to my apartment, said our good byes, and I hopped out of the car. It wasn't until I got inside and went to charge my phone, that I realized I didn't have it. I immediately ran outside to see if the driver had exited my block. He was out of sight.

Thank God I have wifi. I was able to contact the corporate office and send an email about my lost item. Hopefully I'll have the phone back tomorrow. If not, hey, it's time for an upgrade anyway.

My real issue is with my state of mind after losing the phone, not the fact that I left it behind. A phone is a thing. It's replaceable, it's inanimate. Without my phone, I still have food, lights, hot water, health, a job, sanity, and every other function that I had with it. I'm upset with the fact that I feel incomplete without my phone damn near glued to my hand. I feel a bit lost, and out of touch with the rest of the people in my life.

Why is it that this little electronic device dictates so much of my life?

I'm angry and shocked with my dependence on bits and pieces of plastic and metal.

Both my mother and godmother have told me for years to keep a landline. Did I listen? Nope. Too content with having my phone on my person at all times. Too reliant on T-Mobile to replace my phone should it be lost, stolen, or damaged.

When I lost my phone last year, I had the luxury of a vehicle. I drove up to T-Mobile, they gave me a loaner, and mailed me a new phone the next day. This year, I don't have that luxury. So, when I walked up to T-Mobile in the pouring rain, Paige told me that even though I'd been a loyal customer for 10 years, there was nothing she could do for me, That location didn't have any loaners. She offered to call the other locations nearby, but without a car that would've been pointless. I left disappointed with myself, T-Mobile and Paige. (s/n I should probably leave T-Mobile because I'm rarely satisfied with the service.)

What's the purpose, the lesson, the solution? Well, thankfully my godbrother and his family took me to Walmart where I purchased a phone jack cord and a cordless phone. I know my most important contact's phone numbers by heart, and most of my recent calls are logged in my online T-mobile database. However, when I do get my phone back, I will be inputting all of my contacts onto an excel spreadsheet and emailing it to myself for future reference.

What I learned from this lesson sent directly from the Universe is that I must be prepared. I must not rely solely on my cell phone in order to stay connected to my family, friends, and network of professionals. I learned that sometimes it's best to stick with the basics, like landlines, dictionaries, and encyclopedias. I also learned that one should always get what she needs when she doesn't need it. I'm so thankful that I didn't discard the house
phone that was here when I moved in. I'm so glad that I still have the knowledge of landlines, and didn't panic when I lost my cell phone.

As we move further and further into the digital age, I vow to hold on to the basics. I will stay current and in the know with the latest technology, however, I must not rely so heavily on electronics.

Comments

Popular Posts