Creative Writing

I just left my Creative Writing class, that I take at community college twice a week. This is my favorite class this semester because it is helping to develop my gift. I'm finally taking a course that fills  more than my brain. This class massages my writing muscles, it flows with my being, it is propelling me into my destiny. I've taken so many classes that mean absolutely nothing to me. Classes where we read all this information about all these different topics, and after I finish the course I can't even remember anything I "learned." But this class is benefiting me as a writer and author.

The English language is quite amazing. The way we use punctuation and grammar is an endless sea. Although I haven't -and probably never will- perfect the English language, I am also looking forward to writing poetry and books in Spanish. Any who, this writing class is so awesome because the exercises that our professor assigns are challenging. Every week I find myself writing in a new way that I've never explored before.

For instance, last week we had to do three exercises. The first was writing a 250 word narrative without using any punctuation. I was like "where dey do dat at?" But I nailed it. The next one was to write a narrative of the same length using only small sentences, (complete sentences with 7 words or less.) Nailed it! Finally we had to write a narrative using one extremely long sentence. On the final exercise I didn't do so well. I simply over used the comma to the point where it was a stupid dumb long run on sentence. Needless to say, I'll have to revisit that last exercise, but I do have a complete understanding of where I fell short and how to fix it. The long sentence is supposed to be full of interdependent clauses. After discussing it with the professor and reviewing his example I get it now, and I can't wait to do it over.

These exercises are showing us how to manipulate the language and the reader, by controlling the length of the sentences and the punctuation usage. This week we went over POV (point of view), and had to write two short narratives from two different points of view. Not only was it awesome to write, but it was awesome to truly get into the minds of each character from his or her perspective. It really shows you how easily a miscommunication could come about.

I'm so excited about becoming a wonderful, respected, enjoyable writer. Our textbook Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin is great. It's inexpensive ($6), and the author isn't long winded, up tight, or strictly textbook. She encourages writers to be unique, think outside the box, and just write. She reminds me of Mizz Frizzle from the magic school bus, the way she pushes students to break the rules and make mistakes. I love the free spirited feel of the book, and the course.

Should I decide to continue on to earning my bachelors degree, I will definitely be enrolling in courses that give me a sense of fulfillment and purpose.


Comments

Popular Posts