Death before Dreams...

We all know that death is inevitable, it's apart of life. But it's funny because so many of us take life for granted. We go to sleep with the expectation of waking up the next morning. We delay our dreams, goals, and passions because there's always tomorrow. One of my schoolmates, a 27 year old mother of three passed away last week. The news of her passing was not only unexpected, but it was devastating and unbelievable. It hasn't even been 10 years since we graduated high school. Sudden death, especially before 30 is shocking. Thank God, I kept in touch with her over the years. Her birthday was January 13th, and I wished her a happy birthday as I've done for the past 20 years. Then I saw her post about going to the ER and I asked her if everything was ok, and she told me she was alright, but was having some headaches. I assumed all was well until I received an inbox stating she went to sleep and didn't wake up. A peaceful transition. It's eerie going back through some of our old text messages. All the plans to meet up, all the play dates planned with the children, that never happened, and will never happen. The memories that began to swarm my mind brought on smiles and tears as I took a stroll down memory lane. We had one fight in the 2nd grade, and as we sat in the hallway to see the principal we were playing hand games together LOL. Ever since then we were the best of friends. She had these long black pig tails, and I remember her dad drove a blue either Cadillac or Buick, he was a very intimidating man to me as a child, and she was his spitting image. As adults we would go to the grocery store together, just chill and hang out at her place and she would always be there for me when I needed help either emotionally or financially. She taught me how to do the "Superman" LOL, that dance Soulja Boy had the planet doing when his song came on. She was a generous, caring and fun woman. Although she never got to meet my son, I met her girls and saw pictures of her baby boy. She recently told me that she was going back to school this year, "Ima do it this time for real" she text. We both were determined to get on education and off welfare. She will be missed that's for sure, not just by me and our other friends and family members, but mostly by her babies. Death can be a subtle reminder of the quickness of life. It is imperative that each day I do something to get me closer to my dreams. Whether it be attending class, reading to my son, writing down my thoughts in poetic form, or exercising my writing skills on a minimally viewed blog. My purpose is clear and written across the sky. I know I'm still here to accomplish something, and something great. I vow to strive everyday until my dying day to reach, and scrape, and grind and climb the mountain of success. Now whether I reach the top or not is in God's Plan. But every breath I inhale and every breath I exhale will be carried on the upward wind towards my visions, goals and aspirations. Rest well my dear friend. I dedicate my Associates Degree of Liberal Arts to you in hopes that you'll be crossing the stage at your graduation ceremony in Heaven. Love you sis. Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts