How To Prepare for Spring Semester


Monday was the first day of the Spring semester! After four weeks off, it feels good to be back. I have a feeling that this semester is going to go by even faster than the Fall semester. It seems like we'll barely be in class because of all the days off. First we have Monday off for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Then there's a week off for Spring break. The last day of classes is April 29th, then finals week, and Summer break.

My game plan/strategy for this semester is to stay ahead of the game, and go above and beyond in all five of my classes. What I mean by "stay ahead of the game" is doing as much reading, and as many assignments in advance as possible. With five classes, I can't risk falling behind and getting overwhelmed with coursework due to procrastination. Also, I don't plan on missing any more than three classes with an excuse for each absence. The plan is to earn all A's once again.

I believe that I create my own destiny, for the most part. I believe that anything I put my mind to can be accomplished. As an adult learner I have such an advantage over these youngsters. If I could do things differently, I would've never even enrolled in college when I was 18. I would've found a full time job, done some traveling and community service, then went to school at age 25. I'm more focused and motivated now than I've ever been. As an adult I can see the finish line clearly. I take this expedition one semester at a time. I know that these years will zoom past me like a Ferrari on the Autobahn. That's why I start with a plan and follow through.

I still can't believe I'm in my second semester at a private college, living on campus with my son at age 29. The feelings that I feel at this point in my life are somewhat conflicting. I mean, I'm so happy and grateful to be where I am in my life. But at the same time, I'm so accustomed to struggling and barely getting by that all of this seems surreal. I even feel fearful at times of becoming independent. I wonder how living a regular life will be and it scares me. I think many of us have a fear of the unknown. We fear what we can't control. I feel insecure about being on my own, but because I have a little one to take care of I keep pushing forward.

One may ask, "Ramona, what are you afraid of?" I'm mostly afraid of not finding a job. Yet, I also fear finding a great job. If I don't find a job I won't make money. If I do find a job I'll make lots of money. Will I be able to manage my money? Where will I live? Should I move out of state? Should I work for a huge company? Should I start my own business? Should I work for a non-profit organization? What about ethics? What if I'm making a sufficient salary, but my company is polluting rivers and oceans?

OK, I'm shifting gears here before I really scare myself into a frantic panic.

Any who, Spring semester will be awesome. I can't wait until the snow melts and the grass turns green again, and the flowers start to bloom. After this semester I'll be a senior! Now is the time to begin searching for Summer internships and networking with potential employers. There's a huge CareerFest in Columbus that I've registered for. I'll have plenty of resumes and business cards to go around. There will be about 100 companies present, and hopefully I'll make a few solid connections.

If you're starting your Spring semester, or are currently taking your Spring classes, I wish you much success. I encourage you to organize your work load and your time. I urge you to study hard, read more, attend every class, and stay connected with your professors. If you're having difficulty in a certain class, please go see a tutor. Spend more hours in the math and writing labs. And for goodness sake GET YOUR BOOKS if you have not already done so. Try to order your books online before the semester begins. It will eliminate the long wait in the dragging lines at the bookstore. Also, if they are available, print your syllabi before the first day of classes. That way you can begin to get an overall idea of the course requirements.

Congratulations to all the 2016 graduates! Juniors, continue to stay on task you're almost there! Sophomores, keep climbing, you're half way through the journey! And Freshman, have fun and take advantage of Freshman forgiveness!!

Thanks for reading! Please share and comment!

Comments

Popular Posts