Rachelle Ferrell

If you've never heard of Rachelle Ferrell, consider searching her up on Google or YouTube. She's a phenomenal vocalist/musician from Berwyn, Pennsylvania. She's famous for using her voice as a world class instrument. Two of her more popular songs are "Nothing Has Ever Felt Like This" a duet with Will Downing, and the smooth ballad "Til You Come Back To Me." Check her out when you get a moment. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I was first introduced to her in the early 90's. I remember hearing her on the radio while riding in the car with my mom. The only song I remember as a child is the duet with her and Will Downing. There was always something timeless about that song. Every time I'd hear it, it's like it never got old. Even now, I love it still. I'm actually considering performing it live with one of my good friends. (Yup, still calling you out Frost.) :-)

As fate would have it, one night while at a club in Los Angeles I got to experience Rachelle Ferrell in rare form. That night, there were a few artists in the house including Anthony Hamilton. A couple of them performed a song or two, and then Mrs. Ferrell was acknowledged. The host introduced her with so much, admiration and respect. I knew she was a legend, and after she left that stage I knew why.

She became an instrument. The rhythms and sounds began to move in tune with her spiritual flow. She hit these unrealistic high notes, and held them until the end of time. She battled for sounds against the keys on the piano. And she won. She would sing a note, and the keyboard player would play it, then she'd do it again either higher or faster or lower. This continued until the keyboard player couldn't keep up. She began to bebop and scat, and make a wide range of sounds that only the heavens are capable of producing. I was hypnotized. I was amazed. I was in awe. I'd never heard anything or anyone like her before in my life.

The way she allows her voice to freely do it's thang is enviable. It's almost as if she controls her vocals, and then releases them like a white dove at a wedding. It's simply beautiful. She has a gift that cannot be easily duplicated. She is one vocalist that I can say truly uses her voice like an instrument. When I see her perform sometimes I'm overwhelmed and tears fall from my eyes. She sings from her soul. There's really no other way I can explain it. Her words and vocals come from deep within. There's nothing surface about her songs, and when she performs you can tell she gives EVERYTHING.

That's the type of singer I want to become. I want to reveal everything when I'm on stage or in the studio. I want to share every pain, insecurity, wound, hurt, joy, pleasure, heart break, high point, and hate. One of my biggest challenges will be to overcome the fear of looking stupid in front of others. I've been told that for years, whenever working with a creative coach. Each coach has constantly said the same thing. "Ramona, you've got to let go of the fear of looking stupid." I must be free and authentic. I have to dig deeper into myself and perform from my core.

Rachelle Ferrell gives me the confidence to sing. When I see the way she opens and twists her mouth while singing... The way she sweats while playing the keyboard... The way she manipulates the element of air... That makes me want to open my mouth and sing as hard as I can. It's so inspiring to watch her. I somehow feel like she's encouraging me to sing my song.

Thanks Mrs. Rachelle Ferrell. You have become much more to me than you'll ever know.

Comments

Popular Posts