I See You

As much as we all want it to be over, -isms still exist. They happen at work, school, restaurants and night clubs. We've all experienced an -ism. Whether sexism, racism, or ageism, experiencing one or more can be uncomfortable. I won't go into too much detail, but today I was on the receiving end of an ism.

I decided to leave me desk for a few moments to check my phone and grab a gingerbread cookie from the break room. My desk mate was on break, and the supervisor likes for there to always be one worker at the shared station. Since she was on break and I knew I'd be back in a jiffy, I left without notifying another staff member that I had stepped away. When I returned a few moments later, my supervisor told me that we'd missed a phone call. She said that there must always be two people at the station at all times, and that next time I need to tell someone I'm away so that we don't miss any phone calls.

She's exactly correct in her verbal warning. I agree with her. I should've let someone know I was stepping away from my desk for a moment and if they'd cover the phone while I was gone. I'm a mature woman with years of work experience. I have no problems admitting when I'm wrong. I was wrong. BUT, what happened next shocked the daylights out of me.

As I sat back in my desk after politely receiving the redirection from my supervisor, one of  the counselors slid me a hand written note... It read:

"That's how they treat Queens! You ROCK! Very professional AND the "other" students leave the desk all the time-- no comments made and if so, never out loud! :-)"

That was shocking news, but not unbelievable. It is what it is. I'm here for two reasons, to earn money and earn a degree. The subtle traces of -isms will not stop either of the two. I'm too talented, polished and powerful to be phased by ignorant jabs.

I walk in here daily with my head held high, hair in place, and dressed like my name is on the front of the building. If you don't know my story, you won't know why I strut through halls like runways. You won't be able to fathom how I can smile so beautifully in spite the challenges I've faced. I'm one of the strongest people I know and I come from a blood line of strength and resilience.

So if you ask to touch my hair, I won't say no. I'm proud of my dark curls stretching free from my scalp. I won't be offended if you ask me how collard greens and pig feet taste. I won't even flinch when you confuse me with the other two girls working here who look like me, and you still can't tell the difference after me being here for six months.

A queen doesn't need to lower herself or acknowledge every peasant she encounters. I just keep smiling and keep shining. Shine Sistah Shine! I still have so much to accomplish and this is not the first or the last time I'll encounter an -ism.

The greatest feeling was when I responded to my coworkers note and we made eye contact and shared a hearty laugh together. She patted my shoulder and gave me a solid thumbs up. A silent bond of understanding.

So don't worry, you may think I don't see you, but you've been exposed. I'll continue to remain peaceful and positive, but don't get it twisted please, man, woman, black, white, old or young, disrespect will not be tolerated. Don't go below the line.


Comments

Popular Posts