30 Journey

First and foremost, if you've never checked out my youtube page here's the link. Check out some of my videos and feel free to like, comment, subscribe and share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFVY_uYTYQE

There's a variety of videos on my page. I have videos showing poetry, speeches, comedy, motivation, education etc. I don't use profanity, and there will be no nudity, twerking, or offensive obscenities. I may "Dab" though... Maybe... LOL.

Anywho...


Guess who'll be 30 next year??? Nope, not me LOL! I'll be 29. But I've decided to post random videos of random things, on random days, leading up to my 30th birthday. I'm thrilled about turning 30. Life gets better ad better every year. I'm coming into my own, becoming a woman, and finally getting some meat on my bones without being pregnant! I'm getting on track in my life, and starting to figure out this thing called life.

When I was 18, I thought 30 was so old. I would try to imagine myself at 30, doing "grown up" things. I always thought that I'd be stylish and fashionable with a super cool boyfriend. WRONG! I'm single, divorced actually, and as I type, I'm sporting cheetah printed feety pajamas. That's funny. I guess I never had a clear image of what 30 should look like.

As I think about the 30 year old people I was surrounded by growing up, I see independence. When my mom was 30 I was 12. She had a nice car, was a homeowner, and worked a full-time job. Most of her friends were the same way. I was always surrounded by independent women. None of them were married, and few of them had a college education. All of them had children, and took care of their households. Strong, beautiful black women who didn't need a man to provide for them. This was my image of a 30 year old woman.

Now that I'm a year from 30, my surroundings have changed. The only 30 year old people on campus are professors, coaches, or graduate students. Most of the 30 year old women I know are married with children and educated, or single without children and educated. Many of the 30 year old men are similar, but more of them are single. All are financially stable, in high salaried careers, have nice cars, and either own homes or rent swanky apartments in big cities. Clearly, I'm not the typical 30 year old in either example.

How many 30 year old women have you encountered that are just now finishing a Bachelor's degree, living on campus, and have been married and divorced? I'm special I guess.

That's exactly why we shouldn't compare ourselves to others. I could fall into a sinking depression if I let my "30 year old expectations" control my thoughts. I'd be thinking things like:

1.) I'm too embarrassed to live on campus. I'll stand out like a granny at a nightclub!
2.) I'm a loser. I don't have a house, husband or car. FML!!
3.) I'm supposed to be an independent woman, but I need so much help. What's wrong with me!
4.) Why don't I have it altogether like all the other 30 year olds? I must be a bad person!

Ha! I'm glad I don't think like that. I'm exactly where I need to be. As long as I continue to make strides, make logical choices, and utilize my gifts and talents, I'll be alright.

Isn't life strange? We have so many opinions coming our way. Everyone else thinks she knows what's best for everyone else. What I'm learning is, we're all finding our way. No one has it all the way together. No matter how successful we may think someone else is, we're all trying to figure it out.

Therefore, I'm embracing my journey to 30 and inviting you to celebrate with me!

What did you do/will you do when you turn/turned 30? Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Comments

Popular Posts