Finals Week


It's not even finals week yet and we're already stressed out LOL! It's not funny. It's quite pathetic. There is anxiety, fear, and tension in the air. All types of relaxation events have been planned, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that the mind spa is overbooked for the next week.

Why do colleges and universities do this to students? Why is finals week so stressful? Why is there so much pressure to do well on the final exam?

I'm not going along with it. I've been present, prompt and participating during every one of my classes. I've completed all of my projects, papers and assignments. I've put in a great deal of effort in all of my classes. I haven't received less than a B on any of my previous tests. Plus, I've done several extra credit assignments in 3 out of 4 of my classes. I've been on the ball the entire semester. Why should I doubt myself and think that I'd fail this final exam?

Mind games.

I think the stress during finals week comes from the students who are hoping to make up for their lack of effort earlier on. If you've done well for the past 15 weeks, finals week should be a breeze. Right?

I remember hearing horror stories of college students flipping out during final exams. Even Hollywood has touched on the dreaded week of finals in movies related to college students. Some professors will fail a student if he or she fails the final exam, regardless of his or her previous performance. OUCH! Thankfully, none of my professors are like that.

My advice to all college students is to stay afloat. Stay consistent with turning in all assignments on time. Don't miss too many classes. There are some professors who automatically give you a few excused absences each semester. Don't go over the limit unless it's a true emergency i.e. sickness or loss of a loved one. Get familiar with your professors. Make sure they know your name, or at least your face. Take advantage of any extra credit opportunities. And finally, look at your syllabus every week. Doing so will allow you to stay on track of readings, assignments and due dates.

I understand that all students are not A students. I know that some students are passionate about academics, while others are not. Some students are more studious than others. Each student should balance study and personal life to the best of his or her ability. I'm suggesting that all students should remain consistent over the course of the semester in order to avoid playing catch up during finals week.

Every test, assignment, paper, and project should be viewed as equally important. Give them equal treatment and then you won't spread yourself too thin by losing sleep cramming for final exams.

Have you ever been stressed out about finals? What do you suggest?

Comments

Popular Posts