Holiday Time


The older I get, the more the holidays change...

When I was younger, it was all about family, food, and gifts. Now that I'm older with a young child things have changed. Since I don't have a husband this year I probably won't receive any gifts, make any plans, or have too much to look forward to.

My son and I were in Texas for Thanksgiving, so he will be with his dad for Christmas. I did buy a small tree and some candy canes, and I hung some paper made snowflakes from the ceiling. I also made a layaway for my son a few weeks ago, so I don't have to worry about any last minute shopping. I got him all the toys he asked for, and I'm sure his dad bought him some cool things as well. My son will always have two Christmases so he'll never miss a beat as far as receiving gifts. I'm more than sure that he'll get everything he wants and more every year.

However, when I was a kid, my sister and I didn't have too many extraordinary Christmas mornings. But what we lacked in gifts was made up with food. Food always brought the family together. There's something special about the smell of greens, ham, and sweet potato pie. I miss my Granny's sweet potato pie, Patti's pies ain't got nothin on my Granny's pies.

This week, I've decided to try my hand at some holiday cooking. I've invited a few friends over for some traditional comfort foods like macaroni and cheese, baked chicken, greens, and potato salad. I've never cooked a big meal like this before, but there's nothing wrong with practicing. I can't depend on the elders to cook every holiday forever.

I'm not a bad cook. I know that just like anything else practice makes perfect. Truthfully, I've never even made a Thanksgiving turkey, or tried my hand at black eyed peas but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

What is it about the holidays that makes every big mama and Auntie throw on an apron, and every Pop and Unc fire up the grill? I'm not sure what it is, but I like it. I love how the holidays bring us altogether.

Family from out of town come to visit. You receive cards from folks you haven't really kept in touch with all year. Even strangers send you seasons greetings by saying Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. I love this time of year. Especially since this year the weather is unbelievable. That makes it even better. Sometimes I wish Christmas could be everyday. We'd all be broke, but we'd all be in good spirits, eating good, and having something special to look forward to.

I've spent a few Christmases alone and it sucks. The holidays just aren't the same without family, friends, and loved ones around. One year I was in Los Angeles during Christmas. It was sad and depressing. Yet, instead of wallowing in self pity, I got up and went with my church in Hawthorne, California to feed the homeless. My pastor at that time went and brought a ton of food, and we passed it out on Skidrow. That was one of the most memorable times of my stay in L.A.

I'm kind of all over the place with my holiday thoughts in this blog. Stay with me, I'm reminiscing on past experiences during this time of year.

Another memory that I'll never forget is when my roommate in West Hollywood brought home a ginormous real life evergreen Christmas tree. I had never had a real tree growing up, and it was exciting for me to see him haul it in, set it up, and decorate it. I'll never forget the smell of the pine needles. That smell will forever remain in my olfactory sense. It's one of the most calming scents I've ever smelled, and it's unforgettable. (I also remember over watering the tree because I'd heard horror stories of live trees catching fire due to lack of water.) I'm going to get a live tree when I buy my first house.

I don't know why this specific time of year means so much to me. There are holidays all throughout the year. I think it's because these are the most meaningful, and because they are all so close together. I wonder if I'll get married again and celebrate Christmas with my husband and my in laws. I wonder what traditions they will have, and what foods they will eat. I wonder which auntie has the best dishes, and which auntie's cooking I should avoid. Do they exchange gifts on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? Does Grandaddy drink too much cognac and pass out in the lazy boy? Does big mama start twerking when someone plays the blues?

Like the song says, "Christmas just ain't Christmas without the ones you love." This holiday season make sure you spend time with loved ones, eat Aunt Barbara's nasty food, and give Grandaddy his cognac. They may be crazy, but family is family. And if you don't have any family to celebrate with, give to the needy. Make the best of the rest of 2015. Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Friday, however you acknowledge December 25th, spread the love.

Comments

Popular Posts