Agape

Last night I attended my young adult ministry class. The topic was love. The term agape surfaced. I've heard this word used over and over in the Christian community, and I once knew the exact meaning. I decided to do a little research after hearing the word again. I know the gist of it, but I was unsatisfied with the definition I gave in class last night.

Agape is a Greek word meaning love. It's not sexual and has nothing to do with lust. It's mostly used when referring to a spouse, family members, friends and God. Agape love is unconditional. It forgives, it is charitable, it keeps no record of wrongs and it is deeply heart felt. The love that the Creator has for humanity is Agape love. The reciprocity of the relationship between man and God is based on Agape love. Have you ever experienced Agape love?

I never knew Agape love until I started growing a person inside of me. That is the most selfless, undying love I've ever felt, and this was even before I had ever even seen, heard, felt or touched this being. I changed my whole life because of the love I had for this person living inside of my body. I changed my diet, I stopped certain activities, I became more aware of my surroundings, and I remained as stress free as possible, knowing that everything I did had an impact on my baby.

I loved this person that I didn't even know. I loved this person who didn't love me back simply because he didn't know how. Once I became the vessel for another human to enter this Earth, I took full responsibility of his life and my own. The word love doesn't even measure up to the feelings that I have for my son, even as he was growing inside my womb. 

Agape love isn't unexplainable, but it's more of a feeling shown through actions. Because of the burning love I have for my son, there is nothing I wouldn't do for him. Even little things like getting up in the middle of the night to flush a PICC line, or change wet sheets. I rise in the mornings when I'd rather sleep in to make bacon and eggs and watch the same Peppa Pig DVDs over and over and over again. I read to him even on nights when I'd rather collapse onto my bed and sleep. I'll sacrifice anything for the love of my son. That's Agape love.

I talk about my son so much because he's my world. In these 3 years we've been through a lot together both good and bad. I can only relate to the love I have for my son because I've never felt this type of love for anyone or anything before him. Yes, I've been "in love" but it wasn't Agape. Even in my marriage, I didn't love my husband with Agape love, which is why we are divorced today. My son has taught me how to love. 

I'm even learning how to love myself, through my love for him. I never knew I was capable of providing for another human being so sufficiently. Some of the things I've done for my son amazed me and showed me another side of myself that I am proud of. One of my friends gave me the advice to love myself how I love others... Love myself with Agape love. 

Why is loving myself for difficult than loving my son? I've never thought to love myself with Agape love; forgiving myself, loving myself unconditionally, not keeping records of my wrong doings, and simply loving myself for the woman that I am. 

What do you think about Agape love? What do you think about love in general? 

Comments

  1. Unconditional love for another that is not related to you is hard..It should start with you loving yourself that way, but that can be tough, because It's hard for us to forgive ourselves for the mistakes we've made in our own lives. People are their own worst critics. However, Your son loves you with the kind of love you mentioned, and you have the same for him. To me it seems that honest love can only be exchanged when it's the only thing desired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I like that, "Honest love can only be exchanged when it's the only thing desired."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts