5 Reasons Why People Hate Local Authors

I'm a local author. That means the city and surrounding suburbs of the city that I reside in are my target audiences. I'm not a nationally recognized author. My book hasn't been on any bestsellers list. I haven't even sold 1,000 copies of my book. Yet, I believe in my writing. The goal is to get others on the band wagon. So far my wagon is pretty empty. He are my top 5 reasons why people hate local authors.

5. People don't support who they don't know. Many local authors are new names popping up onto the scene. Now, this author could have spent years writing, be educated, and have tons of intellectual ideas. But because a potential buyer has never heard of them, that buyer won't invest in the book.

4. People are loyal to established authors. We all know Sistah Souljah, Eric Jerome Dickey, Omar Tyree, Zane, and celebrity authors. These authors have such a loyal fan base, that many of their books sell out on the pre-sale copies alone. A local author can't compete with a well-known author when trying to build a following. Especially if a famous author has just released a new best seller.

3. People think local authors have no credentials or their writing is poor. People think that only “good" writers get picked up by a legit publishing company. They think that local authors just throw words together in a book, self publish, and try to sell the book solely for a profit. They think the book will lack substance, creativity and organization. Or they assume it's some cheesy sex and gangster book. People want to spend their money on a quality product, and since local authors most likely don't have a high income. How can a local author afford a designer, an editor, print costs etc...? No one wants to waste his or her money on some second rate local authors book.

2. They've been disappointed in the past when taking a risk on a local author. Some local authors are great salespersons. They may have a great pitch, deliver an excellent speech or poem, and really sell the audience. But they'll have a book full of grammatical errors. Or their book contains more pages of journaling for the reader than actual content. There is always a risk when buying a book from a local author because one doesn't know what to expect. If a person has had a negative experience with one local author, it may be harder for them to trust in the future.

1. The person is a hater.

I'm a local author and it seems like sometimes I have to beg for the support of my peers and city folks. And the funny thing is, once I do write a best-selling book those same people will be first in line trying to get an autographed copy. Another thing is when I'm in New York or Los Angeles in room full of strangers, if I enter the venue with 50 books, I'm leaving the venue with only about 1 or 2. Same scenario in Cleveland, and the results are reversed. I'll come in with 50 books and only sell 1 or 2.

Writing is something I'll always do. It doesn't matter how many books I sell. I hope to get more support locally and nationally in the future.

Thank you to all the people who have bought a copy, downloaded my book, took a selfie with my book, or have shared a post about my book. Your support is truly appreciated! You see something in me, and I won't let you all down. Thank for buying my book Shine Sistah Shine!!

***Shine Sistah Shine is available for purchase from me personally, online at barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com also at Mac Books on Coventry Road in Cleveland Heights.***





Comments

Popular Posts