Force Feeding

I like junk food. I love candy and sweets. I don't count calories, I rarely read labels. I eat what I enjoy. I indulge in what I have a taste for. However, as of lately, I've been more conscious of what I choose to put in my body. I've been slightly hypocritical too. I make sure my son eats more fruit and veggies than anything else. I monitor his sugar intake, and I've started him on a mostly organic diet. But as I mentioned above, I eat whatever I want, whenever I want...

As I rapidly approach 30, things are changing with my body. Fat isn't burning off so easily, and my energy levels are slowly decreasing. I'm becoming aware of family diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure and cancer. I'm paying more attention to my eating habits and seeing how they effect my skin, mood and energy levels. I've come to find that less alcohol, more exercise, more rest, and less processed foods positively effect all three.

When I exercise daily, even if it's for a small amount of time, I seem to have more energy for the rest of the day. I tend to feel more energized and refreshed. The more I exercise, the more my body wants to stay in motion. It's almost as if my body likes to push itself to higher heights and levels of physical activity. I'm thinking about tomorrows' potential list of physical activities. Maybe I'll walk a few miles or two down to Euclid Creek with my son in his jogger stroller. Perhaps if it's not raining we'll go for a long walk, then stop at a playground and run around for a bit. As much as I hate to exercise, my body loves it.

My body also loves water and fresh fruit. I make sure that my son has fruit with every home cooked meal. Today, I forced myself to eat some grapes with breakfast. When I was young I liked grapes, but now I detest the crunchy outside skin and gushy insides. Yet, I managed to eat about a dozen or so without being totally grossed out. I do enjoy honey crisp apples from Whole Foods though. They are sweet, juicy, crisp and delicious. I could eat one of those everyday. I'll be going to Whole Foods this week to stock up on organic fruit for my son and I. I'm making changes little by little. I'm taking baby steps.

I know the benefits that come from a healthier lifestyle are great. It's never too early or too late to begin making improvements. If I know that there are ways to prevent diabetes, cancer and high blood pressure, I'm not waiting until I'm 50 to start preventative behaviors. 

Even if it means force feeding myself disgusting fruit like peaches, plums, strawberries, mangoes, raspberries, blueberries, cherries and bananas. YUCK!!! 




Comments

Popular Posts