I'm A Speaker, You're A Speaker, Everyone's A Speaker

Nowadays every professional is also a speaker. I always thought being a speaker was a profession. Ever since I was introduced to the area of public speaking, I've had a passion for pursuing it as a career. However, it seems like any and everyone is a speaker already. It's like its just an automatic add-on. Maybe because there is no degree or certification required to have the title that so many people can refer to themselves as a speaker.

What makes one a speaker? I guess simply speaking to an audience. I feel so irritated because it's my passion, and I actually care about being not just a speaker, but a professional speaker. I didn't become a speaker because of my job or business. I don't get invited to speak at venues because I'm a famous athlete or celebrity. Everytime I speak, or am asked to speak it's because I am The Ladybug Speaker. My business is speaking. I've won speech contests, and I'm a member of Toastmasters International which is an organization dedicated to improving public speaking skills.

Perhaps the difference is I am a professional speaker rather than a speaker. I know how to write and edit my own speeches. I know how to write and deliver a speech in a set time frame. I know the importance of appearance, hand gestures, vocal variety, eye contact and covering the stage area. I study the are of public speaking. I have books and DVDs, I attend seminars, watch webinars, and watch other great speakers in action.

I know that there are millions of excellent speakers in America. I also know that there are thousands of people using the title "speaker" loosely. Art appreciation. I paint, but I'm not a painter. I sing, but I'm not a singer. I cook, but I'm not a chef. Get my drift? I feel like the profession of speaking is being taken for granted.It took me years to call myself a poet. Not because I thought I wasn't able to write poetry, but because I knew poets that loved the art. I met poets that would write everyday, keep a notebook (cell phone now) to write in everywhere they went, and practiced their poetry out loud before performing.

I respect that. I knew that I didn't take it as seriously as those poets did, so I dared not disrespect the art by crowning myself as a poet without respect to the art form. I'm not saying I didn't do poetry, or that it wasn't a hobby. I equate the word poetry to a profession. Yes some people are naturally gifted at writing poems, but in order to improve one must study the art, practice it and perfect it. That's what separates a person who writes and performs poetry, from a poet. A poet has a deep passion for wordplay. A poet invests time and maybe even money into his or her art. Poetry is apart of a poet's everyday life. A poet sees poetry in everything.

As a professional speaker, sometimes I honestly hate sitting in the audience. I'd rather be speaking on the stage than sitting under the voice of someone else. As a professional speaker, I can speak about any topic and make it entertaining. I don't have to speak about one thing over and over. I can research any topic, outline the information, and strategically place my ideas in between the lines. I can memorize a 20 minute speech. I can deliver inspirational speeches, motivational speeches, humorous speeches, or informative speeches. I can design my speech to be well received by a certain audience. I'm understanding and sensitive to all beliefs, cultures and opinions, yet I can still let my light shine.

My apologies if I offend anyone with this post, or if someone doesn't understand where I'm coming from.

Just think about something that you are extremely passionate about... Go ahead.... Think about it. I'll wait............................................. Yes, that thing. The thing you eat, sleep, live, breathe, and dream about. The thing you've made so many sacrifices for. The thing you're working so hard towards. Blood, sweat and tears hard. You've put so much energy and time into this thing. You value it and treasure it because it's apart of who you are.

I feel that way about speaking and it frustrates me when some one casually calls him or her
self a speaker.

Comments

Popular Posts