The Raise


Have you ever worked at a job where you were over qualified and under paid? Did you ever feel like you were too skilled and educated to be working at the wage you were working for? I think many of us at one point or another have taken a job offer that was less than, however we accepted it anyway. I recently took a minimum wage Customer Service position at a grocery store. With an Associates degree and 12 years of customer service, I know full well that I'm short changing myself.

I met a professional athlete a few years ago named Syndric Steptoe, and he said something to me that I'll never forget. As he told me his personal story of how he'd made it all the way to the NFL, he told me it wasn't an easy journey. He told me, "You have to do what you gotta do, in order to be able to do what you want to do."

Why did I accept a minimum wage position at a grocery store?
1.) Convenience: I don't have a car right now, and this job is a 5 minute walk from my apartment.
2.) Flexibility: With a child, sometimes I can't work the exact same hours everyday. Without a car, I can't get him to day care. When I know in advance that I'm working 2pm-6pm Monday and Wednesday and 6pm-1030pm Friday it gives me time to line up a sitter for a few hours. Plus I'm not locked into any contract or commitment so I can quit at any time with no penalties.
3.) Easy Work: I can scan and bag groceries in my sleep. I love customer service, and it's my pleasure to give the customer a fun and fast shopping experience.
4.) Instant Employment: It was a smooth and quick process once I inquired about employment and filled out the application. The hiring manager scheduled an interview the same day I completed the application. There was no long screening process, and after a background check I was hired in.

I didn't negotiate my salary during the interview because I didn't want to risk losing a job opportunity simply because I was asking for a rate they would be unwilling to pay. Minimum wage beats no wage at all. And just because I wasn't getting paid my preferred rate of $12 an hour, it didn't stunt my work performance.

I still enjoy customer service, therefore I give world class service to every customer every time. I smile, work expediently and efficiently, and help out my team whenever I'm asked. I follow rules and instructions, and I go above and beyond for the customers and for my team. Plus I'm a professional. I'm the best at everything I do, whether it's speaking to hundreds of young girls, or taking out the trash after my shift. I've learned that no matter what the task is, it represents me. I've learned to humble myself, and not look at where I work or what work I'm doing. I'm going to give 110% of my best effort at any and everything I invest my time into.

The hiring manager told me that once I'd been there for 30 days, and did a good job, she'd give me a raise. Of course, I couldn't wait 30 days. I had learned and perfected the customer service booth within 2 weeks. So, I decided to go to the store manager and talk to him about a raise. He told me that he recognized my skills, but the company probably wouldn't give me much of a raise. He said my best shot at a raise would be making myself stand out when his boss was in the store.

He said that he'd seen his boss pull someone off of the registers, take him or her to the back office and give the person an immediate raise. That sounded far-fetched to me. Until he said that as a customer service person my announcements would make me stand out. He said keep doing what I'm doing, but make sure I stay up on my announcements. Keep announcing the hot deals of week and shouting out the sales in the meat, dairy and produce departments.

Once again, I felt like that was an easy task. What effort does it take to pick up the phone, hit the page button and read from a sheet of sales prices? Everyday I make a few announcements every hour using "the voice." The customers love it, and they always think it's a recording until the see me on the phone speaking over the P.A.

The other day I walked into work, and everyone was on pins and needles. I saw several guys in suits and ties and I knew we were having a corporate visit. Inventory is coming up, today actually, and the corporate guys came in to help the management team prepare. As I got my till from the cash office and walked up to the customer service booth, one of my managers reminded me to do the announcements today. I told him, "You already know, I got you!" He smiled. Once I hit that booth it was on. I knew it was game time, and I knew that this was my chance to shine and "stand out."

I was on fire! I was on point with those announcements. I was doing them just about every fifteen minutes. I was putting on my best voice, and rocking out on that phone! I knew I was doing well because several customers complimented me, and the closeouts department manager told me that the announcements are what the higher ups really love. After about two hours of performing like a professional, my time had come.

I felt it coming too. The store manager pulled me off of the register, and took me to the back office. While were walking towards the back all he kept saying was, "I told you." I acted like I didn't know what he was talking about, but I knew exactly what was about to go down. When we entered the back office, the Regional manager was sitting there with paper work in his hands. My store manager stood quietly against the wall, as the Regional manager showered me with compliments and opened the door to full time employment, benefits, and other open positions around the region. He told me that my store manager put in many good words about me, and that he'd witnessed it today.

He said when he heard my announcements over the P.A, he asked, "Who is that?" He said I'd definitely caught his attention. Then he picked the paper, told me that I would never work at my current rate again, and bumped me up a whole dollar, which would show up on my next paycheck.

I was beaming with excitement! I had just been complaining about working at minimum wage, and then I got an unexpected raise! He said that any opportunity I wanted to take advantage of was mine for the taking. He'd even work around my schedule when school starts back in August.

The point of me sharing this story is not to brag. It's to remind myself and you to waste no opportunities. When opportunities arise, seize them, perform like a professional, and stand out. With most opportunities, you only get one chance to grasp them. Happenings like this don't come around every day, every month or even every year.

When another opportunity comes to you, will you cower and miss out? Or, will you rise to the occasion and get what you deserve?

Comments

Popular Posts