A Mother's Love

Last night my son woke up at close to 4 am screaming “Daddy!" I tried to comfort him by speaking softly and tucking him in, but by that time he was wide awake. He had spent most of the afternoon with his dad while I worked a night shift. My son loves spending time with his dad, and he cries every time they part.

I believe that it's safe to assume that he had a nightmare. He woke up screaming for his daddy and was probably afraid to go back to sleep. He started stirring around in bed which made me restless. He then asked to get in bed with me, and I told him no. Naturally he began to cry. Eventually, I picked him up and put him in bed with me.

However, even then he was still awake tossing and turning. After about a half an hour of changing positions, stretching out his arms and legs, and rolling around, I figured he needed to use the potty. We went to the bathroom, used the potty and then he began to cry. I let him cry for a few moments, and then had a gentle talk with him.

I asked him what was wrong. He continued to whine. I told him it was time to lay down in his own bed and go night night. I told him that I'd tuck him in snugly and place Mr. Dela (his favorite stuffed animal) in bed with him. He was still sad and irritated, so I asked him if he wanted to rock with me on the couch. He replied with a sure“Yes ma'am."

By this time, it's almost 5 a.m..I grabbed a thin blanket,  wrapped him up in it, and held him close to my chest. I rocked my baby until he fell fast asleep. Once he was asleep, I laid him in his bed, and as promised, tucked him in and placed Mr. Dela by his side. I knew he was fine once his little arm wrapped around Mr. Dela's big monkey head.

I haven't had a night like that in months. It wasn't a night terror, because when he would have those he'd be completely inconsolable and crying hysterically. When he was an infant, of course I had many sleepless nights especially since I was breastfeeding on demand.

No matter how many nights of sleep I lose, I remain patient. I don't yell at him or spank him for being up at the break of dawn. I get up, shake off the sleepies, and tend to the needs of my child. It's apart of the job description. It's one of those inevitable happenings during motherhood. Honestly, I enjoy the fact that this little person needs me. I'm even more pleased with the fact that even with little financial resources, I'm still equipped with everything I need to adequately take care of my son.

I love that little guy dearly, and if it means rocking him until the sun comes up, that's what I'll do. I still can't believe how amazing he is, and it's such an honor to be the mother of a champion.

Comments

Popular Posts