Cyclebreaker

Break cycles, don't make excuses. Find your passion, pursue your purpose, use your power. Say yes to the process, be open to opportunity and unlock your fears. These are all the messages I received today at the 2015 CycleBreakers Conference today. I was a speaker at the event, but I benefited much more from being in the audience.

Every speaker was unique and great! They all spoke about how life is not going to be easy or fair. They explained that there will be struggles, but no matter where you start only you can determine where you finish. All of the speakers were from the Cleveland area, and they all came from humble beginnings. Some of the speakers were Senator Nina Turner, news anchor Danita Harris, and Bishop Joey Johnson. Powerful.

I know I enjoyed it more than the high school students in attendance. Many of them were slumped in their seats, texting and barely paying attention. But to a person like me, I soaked it all in. I needed the confirmation that if I keep working hard and hang in there, I too will one day live my dreams. It seems like all successful people have the same formula. Struggle, survive, find your passion, put in work, educate yourself, practice, prepare for opportunity, and live your dreams.

I learned that to form a new habit it takes 66 days. I instantly thought about this blog. I'm about 20 days in, and by day 66 it will be harder to NOT write everyday, than it was to get up and do it in the beginning stages. I also learned that one can consider herself an expert at something only if she has completed at least 10,000 hours practicing the skill. Or about 10 years is what it takes. I'm about 5 years in, so in 2020 I'll truly be an expert professional speaker.

I really enjoyed this conference and I can't wait for the next one. We all need confirmation, reassurance, and motivation. Successful people break cycles everyday. They don't repeat unhealthy patterns. They make choices and decisions that are different from their past mistakes. They don't let fear stand in the way of their success. And finally, they always come back to give back to their community. I am a CycleBreaker.

Comments

Popular Posts