Woman vs. Lady

I have to give my biological mom all the credit in the world for raising me to be a strong, independent woman. She taught me how to survive. She taught me how to make the best of my situation no matter what the conditions or circumstances were. She taught me how to be tough, and how to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. My biological mom is the strongest woman I know, and she has been through hell, but walks like she lives in heaven.

I'm grateful for the hard life lessons I learned from my mother. However, it wasn't until I met my godmother that I learned how to be a lady.

My godmother is a special person. She is loving, kind, sweet, unique, creative, down to Earth and has an upbeat personality and a contagious laugh. She's sensitive, she's giving, she's confident and elegant. Although I only lived with her for 2 years, I absorbed a lifetime worth of teachings.

One thing I learned from my godmother is to take the time to do things efficiently and effectively. Whatever my godmother puts her hands to prospers. Any art project, recipe, chores, notes of thanks etc. she makes sure it is detailed, neat and precise. She never takes shortcuts. She always follows every step to the tee, and she never sends out garbage. If she creates something and it's not satisfactory, she'll throw it out and start again.

For example, she loves to cook. She'll be in the kitchen for hours until her feet swell, preparing the most delicious home cooked meal from scratch. With every dish, she buys the best ingredients, follows the same exact recipe, and presents the dish flawlessly. If the dish is too salty, or burnt on one side she won't serve it. If she wouldn't eat it, she feels that no one else should. She keeps the well-being of others in mind as she completes each task.

She takes pride in her creations and she's a bit of a perfectionist. When she bakes a German chocolate cake, the icing must be evenly spread around it, and every coconut flake perfectly in place. She'll serve it on a thick glass domed cake stand with the heavy glass cover, as if it is on display at a famous bakery. Everything she does is done with love and passion.

Another thing I've taken from my godmother is to never go out into the world without looking decent. There has never been a day where my godmother has left the house with rollers in her hair, in pajamas, or with a bonnet on her head. Before she walks out the door her hair is styled and neatly in place, her make-up is on point, and her clothes are clean and ironed. Her accessories match her outfit. Her nails aren't chipped, her bra straps are not revealed. Her outfits compliment her body type, and she dresses appropriately for her age, occupation and titles. She's one class act.

Since leaving my godparents' home, I've retained many of the habits displayed by my godmother. I am more conscious of my appearance before leaving the house. I find myself taking my time with tasks I'd once rushed through. I've even learned how to accessorize my jewelry. I always wear earrings, a bracelet, a necklace and a ring with each outfit. My hair and nails are always decent, and I'm experimenting with new clothes and styles that are just right fit me.

It's hard to write in detail about all I've gained from my godmother. She's helped me to improve myself spiritually, mentally and physically. In a nutshell, she's showing me how to appreciate and nurture my femininity. She's showing me the little things that a single teen mom working two jobs didn't have time for. She's giving me lessons in etiquette and grace that will be the icing on the cake to my success.
Do you have someone significant in your life who has changed you for the better?  


Comments

Popular Posts