Act like a 2 year old

I don't like the label "terrible twos." I prefer "terrific twos" or "tenacious twos." It was a challenge on both sides though, transitioning from a helpless infant to an exploring independent kid, . Things changed dramatically once my son started walking at 11 months. He didn't need me to pick him up all the time. I had to make sure he had a clear path so he didn't trip over anything. I had to follow closely behind him when he approached stairs and other danger zones. There was so much for him to get into once he become mobile.

He loved touching any and everything. He became familiar with objects by eating random them. My son would put anything in his mouth, from hair, to coins, to crayons, and even grass. I remember when he walked around for about an hour with a sock in his mouth, for no good reason. He was just exploring. He also enjoyed chewing on the strap to one of my bras. Although his habits at that time were strange, nothing compared to the things he started doing once he turned two.

The first thing I noticed was, he became more interested in "himself." He would randomly grab himself and pay more attention to his area. That was pretty funny and unexpected. Then he started unrolling the ENTIRE roll of toilet paper. Don't ask me why. Another thing is, he liked to take his pants off as soon as he walked in the door. Also, there were several times when he played in his poop, or touched his bottom after he pooped and sniffed it! EWWWW!!!! I know right! I guess it's just a toddler thing.

These days, he likes to purposely fall on the floor in the middle of anywhere, faking a knee injury. He tumbles down the hallway on his head, rolling about, until we reach our door. He licks me in the face like a puppy. He blows his nose in mid air with no tissue. Yes, he does many things that I don't understand. Today, he flushed a pair of his socks right down the toilet. He also poured out an entire bottle of bubbles in the middle of the living room floor. I don't understand his actions at times, yet I don't consider these acts terrible.

He's observing and absorbing the world around him. It doesn't make him mischievous, bad, or a terror. It makes him a scientist.

You'd be surprised by the amount of wisdom hidden in children. Even with all of the unexplainable and unique exploration, I've learned a lot from that kid. My son has taught me how to love, live and forgive. When he falls he gets right back up again. He has fun everyday no matter what he's going through, and he gives all of his energy to whatever it is he's focused on. They say when the student is ready, the teacher will appear...

Comments

Popular Posts