$85 per hour

Today was my first day back to work in over 3 months. I'm a part-time cashier at a grocery store. The money isn't great, and it's a temporary position. I plan on being at this job for about 3 months until school starts at the end of August. Although the pay is minimal, there are no benefits, and I don't see a future with the company, I love my job so far.

I've always loved cashiering. It's one of my favorite things to do. Being back on that register today felt so natural, so right. I don't know why I love scanning and bagging groceries so much. My first job was at Tops, where I cashiered for a little over a year. I've had many other jobs since then, but nothing has come close to my love for cashiering. 

I love scanning the groceries as fast as I can. I love memorizing the food codes, bananas 4011, green peppers 4065, red onions 4082. I love counting the money back to the customer. But most importantly, I love delivering the most outstanding, world class, phenomenal customer service. I love making customers feel happy and satisfied. 

I enjoy going above and beyond to meet the needs of every customer every time. I like the small talk conversations that sometimes branch off into an interesting discussion. It fills me with pride to do a little extra, making the customer feel valued. I've been in customer service for 12 years and I'm expedient, efficient and I always deliver superior customer service.

If cashiering paid $85 an hour, I'd never ever retire. I swear I'd die behind a register. Unfortunately, $8.10 is all I have to look forward to every 60 minutes. But it's worth it because I love it. Like I said, I only plan on being there a short while. Plus, I'll get a raise in 30 days depending on my performance. 

I'm actually training for Customer Service, not cashier. However, the two pretty much go hand in hand. The only difference is the Customer Service desk does money orders, money gram, returns, lottery and handles the cigarettes. Customer Service is OK, but there's so much going on that you barely have time to fully engage the customer. Also, it's not the same register as the cashiers. You just scan everything with the gun. BORING! I like swiping items across the scanner and hearing the beep. I like to properly bag the groceries and put them into the customers cart. I like the idea of simply scanning and bagging, and not worrying about all that extra stuff.

When I first started cashiering, I was a 16 years old. Now, I'm a 28 year old woman, huge difference. I'm the old lady on the floor now, even though I look young. As an adult, my conversations are much more broad. I can relate to topics and subjects that I cared nothing about when I was a teen. I can now appreciate good service, and therefore offer it. I know how to separate my emotions from work, and I know what's expected of me. 

Hopefully I can be a beacon of light to the younger generation working there. I have no problem setting the bar and raising the standards of customer service within the company. I wouldn't care if I worked just one day, 2 hours a day, at $2.00 an hour. If I'm investing my time and showing my face, I'm going to give it 100%. It's not about the job or the work, it's about me and who I represent and how I want to be looked at. 

This is all apart of the journey. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed. I'm grateful. I'm happy. I'm glad to have a job, especially one that I love.










Comments

Popular Posts